How does it work?
The program will provide a wage subsidy of $7 an hour to employers who hire students for summer work between May and August. STEP will support students in gaining valuable work experience and skill-building opportunities.
Who is not eligible?
Ineligible employers for STEP include:
- federal or provincial governments, including the Legislative Assembly and constituency offices
- medium- and large-sized businesses (50+ employees)
- franchises and corporately-owned chains
- publicly-funded organizations including emergency services (e.g. police, firefighters, etc.); and
- provincial or federal Crown agencies, boards and commissions or corporations.
The program is available for students who are:
- current and returning students 15 years or older;
- Alberta residents; and
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents or persons protected under the [Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act] who are legally allowed to work in Canada. International students and temporary foreign workers are not eligible for the program.